What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Powershell Script after the new update

Votes:

Hi Paessler,

After I update one of our PRTG servers to version 21.3.69.1333 x64, the Powershell script sensors stop working, before the update it is completely working 100%. Even the demo PowerShell script sensor is not working. But tried the script on PowerShell app and it's working.

Here's the error message.

From my powershell custom sensor - Response not well-formed: "( )" (code: PE132)

From the demo PowerShell script (Available MB via WMI.ps1) :

Response not well-formed: "(A command that prompts the user failed because the host program or the command type does not support user interaction. Try a host program that supports user interaction, such as the Windows PowerShell Console or Windows PowerShell ISE, and remove prompt-related commands from command types that do not support user interaction, such as Windows PowerShell workflows. )" (code: PE132)

Thank you! Would like to resolve this issue before updating the rest of our PRTG servers.

custom-sensor powershell script version-21-3-69-1333

Created on Jul 15, 2021 10:26:31 AM

Last change on Jul 15, 2021 11:02:11 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

Thank for your messages.

In the latest versions of PRTG, we included PowerShell security enhancements which could be at the origin of this issue, when using the cmdlet Write-Host to return the data in PRTG.

Therefore, I invite you to replace it with Write-Output and then check if the issue still occurs afterwards.

If you have questions, let us know.

Regards.

Created on Jul 16, 2021 6:56:58 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi, I have exactly the same behavior since the update from V20.4.64.1402 to 21.3.69.1333+.

One Solution proposed by Support is to disable the new PowerShell Security Enhancement in Setup > System Administration > Monitoring. This new Experimental feature is activated by default.

Created on Jul 15, 2021 2:12:29 PM

Last change on Jul 19, 2021 6:26:48 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

Thank for your messages.

In the latest versions of PRTG, we included PowerShell security enhancements which could be at the origin of this issue, when using the cmdlet Write-Host to return the data in PRTG.

Therefore, I invite you to replace it with Write-Output and then check if the issue still occurs afterwards.

If you have questions, let us know.

Regards.

Created on Jul 16, 2021 6:56:58 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I replaced it with write-output and now it is working. Thank you, Florian! :)

Regards, Ben

Created on Jul 16, 2021 8:11:20 AM

Votes:

Thank you very much for the update. Glad to hear that it is working again.

Have a great day.

Regards.

Created on Jul 16, 2021 8:31:07 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.