What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

List of included meta names for sensor in device templates

Votes:

I am trying to create a device template that adds a lot of Windows services, monitored by WMI, and filtered, but I am unable to find what META name to use for it, I cannot find any information in the manuals or in the KB with a list of included META names for different sensors. I know not all sensors has a META seach, but it would be great if there was one for those who had.

I did find the KB with information on how to create a custom one, but if a included one is available, I would prefer to use that one, rather than create one for my self.

device-template meta prtg template wmi

Created on Jul 22, 2021 10:15:19 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,
By default the auto-discovery will create all possible sensors for sensors which use meta-scans. You can however use filters in your device template to only create specific sensors. This is explained in detail here. Does this help you?

Created on Jul 26, 2021 1:52:18 PM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi! I have seen this, but when I create a sensor called "wmiiis"/"Windows IIS Application" and export the Device template, it has the Filter section indicating that there is a scanner for it, but there is no META section in the header stating the name of the META function name. This name is the one I want, not only for this specific sensor but for all the sensors, as there are multiple other sensors that has scanner functions, but does not have the META name when you are exporting the device template.

I have been experimenting a bit, and found some of the names that are missing, but it is difficult to find, there should be some more information around customizing the Device template.

Information I have found in addition to the Filter section, is Custom META that I have got to work, and basic editing of the Device file, none of the more advanced options in the device file. that has been down to experimenting and wasting a lot of time.

Created on Jul 27, 2021 6:18:52 AM

Votes:

Hello,

I'm sorry, there's no list with all sensors and their meta-scan name. If you are looking to customize device template I can only suggest using the filtering option. Customizing device templates in any other way (including messing around with custom meta scans) is officially not supported which is why we cannot provide any further support in this case I'm afraid.

Created on Jul 29, 2021 3:05:51 PM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.