What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Mimosa SNMP trap receiver

Votes:

Hi all, I am working on a snmp trap receiver for a few devices in prtg to notify us when the Ethernet speed changed eg..1000 to 100. I currently have the trap receiver working but my messages are coming back as

SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.43356.2.2 RFC1213-MIB::ifIndex.1 = 3 3 0 345402897 1

How should I go about getting a little bit more usable information from these messages like what speed it changed to?

Trap OIDs http://backhaul.help.mimosa.co/notifications-backhauls-snmp-traps-oids
MIB Files http://backhaul.help.mimosa.co/snmp-mib-downloads

mib prtg snmp

Created on Aug 2, 2021 11:06:25 PM

Last change on Aug 4, 2021 6:09:12 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi Jameson,

The respective OIDs need to be copied into the PRTG directory and you need to restart the PRTG Core Server Service so that the returned OIDs are getting translated properly. The default directory is:

Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\MIB

PRTG offers you the possibility to read the incoming messages and to evaluate filter conditions to trigger notifications, but you cannot process the messages to display the speed or something similar. This needs to be part of the traps sent by the source device.

In general, you can check if active monitoring would be a better fit here for your needs. For instance an SNMP Custom (Advanced) Sensor to check the port speed, as described in the reply of my colleague Stephan.

You can find the correct index via the SNMP Tester Tool and a Scan Interfaces against the target device.

With that, you can enter thresholds on the interface speed to eventually create notifications or at least to change the sensor status accordingly.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Aug 4, 2021 6:43:06 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.