What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Ad Integration - Group list not showing all groups?

Votes:

Hi, Running version 21.3.69

Just in the process of setting up AD auth and finding that the drop down box to select an AD group does not show all groups. I've not found a pattern to determine if there's something different between the groups i can see and those i cannot. ie, the list has groups from multiple OU's but also missing groups from those same OU's. The groups I need do have members, not nested etc.

If i run a simple powershell to list all the groups i can see the ones I want. I thought it might be something to do with a particular OU but it's listing groups in completely different OU tree's.

The domain has 2800 groups so according to the doco i should get an input field to type the group but this is not the case, it has the drop down box only.

Any assistance would be appreciated

ad authentication groups

Created on Aug 12, 2021 5:54:09 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

The AD groups listed are limited to 1000 for performance and usability reasons. Above that number, PRTG should indeed change the dropdown list to an input field however there is a bug in version 21.3.69, for which we opened a case to our development team.

Nevertheless, you have the possibility to force PRTG to display the input field by following the steps below:

• Open the registry editor
  • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Server\Core
  • Create a new DWORD key "ADForceGroupInputField" with value set to 1
  • Restart the Core service under PRTG Administrator Tool > Service Start/Stop. You should then be able to manually enter the group you desire to add. If that's not the case, please let me know.

Regards.

Created on Aug 12, 2021 6:06:20 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 12, 2021 6:07:08 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, That's fixed the issue, thanks for the quick response! Much appreciated

Created on Aug 12, 2021 6:32:05 AM

Votes:

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Have a nice day!

Created on Aug 12, 2021 7:06:32 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.