What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to create a business sensor properly (Ping only)

Votes:

Hello, We have to monitor 2 gateways. I created a business sensor but it doesn't work as expected.

- We want a warning, if 1 is down - We want an error but only, if both are down for longer than 1 hour

We have a standard ping sensor on both gateways. I created the sensor and set the "intervall" on 15 minutes after 3 intervall warnings (tried it on the gateways and on the business sensor).

I tried to to set the percentage on 75/ 50 and 50/25 but we got errors the entire time. (I assume it's 50/25 as your doc says it's bigger than and not bigger/equals.)

Regards

business-process ping prtg

Created on Aug 12, 2021 2:46:52 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi Youki,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

50% means that at least half of the sensors need to fulfil the threshold condition to change the Business Process Sensor's status; so far so good then.

What's the current status of both source sensors while testing the sensor settings? Also provide a screenshot of the settings page of the sensor as well as a screenshot of the error message which you see in the sensor message field.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Aug 13, 2021 9:44:00 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.