What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Find what IFIndex PRTG is using

Votes:

Hi,

As per my title really ...

I'm trying to identify what ifindex a particualr sensor is using to monitor a specific port. Can anyone help advise if this is possible to find? And how - thanks.

S.

ifindex prtg sensor

Created on Aug 16, 2021 8:51:06 AM

Last change on Aug 18, 2021 12:09:51 PM by  Chan Siau Hen [Paessler Technical Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the question.

The number inside the bracket in your Traffic Sensor's name is the ifindex. 12 is the index for the below example.

(012) Local Area Connection* 9 Traffic

You can also have a look at the sensor settings, the 'Interface Number' is also displaying the index number.

12:Local Area Connection* 9

With kind regards,
Chan Siau Hen
Technical Support Team, Paessler AG

Created on Aug 18, 2021 12:18:49 PM by  Chan Siau Hen [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Ahh ok - thanks for that and I guess only works so long as someone hasn't edited the name.

On a related note, is there a way to see what OID is in use?

Created on Aug 19, 2021 6:30:01 AM

Votes:

Hi Stuart,

Please check the below KB article for the OIDs used by the SNMP Traffic Sensor. If the ifindex of your device's interface ge0/0/1 is 012, for example. The OID for the 'In Traffic' in 64 bit should be 1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.6.12

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/26783-oids-of-traffic-sensors

With kind regards,
Chan Siau Hen
Technical Support Team, Paessler AG.

Created on Aug 19, 2021 7:04:48 AM by  Chan Siau Hen [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Thank you again for that but I did know this info... for once :)

What I was after is a way to reverse the logic. So I know the ifindex as I can see it in settings, etc as you clearly told me in your prior response, but what I was after was how to find what OID is being used for ay one specific sensor. Is that also in settings as I can't see it (might just be my old eyes)?

Created on Aug 19, 2021 7:36:50 AM

Votes:

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the explanation.

I am afraid you can't tell which OIDs are used by one specific native sensor, by checking the sensors or in any part within PRTG Web GUI. (If that's an SNMP Custom Sensor which anyway requires the user to put in the OIDs, they should know which OID is used)

For most of the elements, such as interface traffic, CPU, memory, and uptime, the OIDs are generic and you can search them from the internet.

With kind regards,
Chan Siau Hen
Technical Support Team, Paessler AG.

Created on Aug 20, 2021 12:41:38 PM by  Chan Siau Hen [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.