What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Dependence of one channel on another.

Votes:

Hi. I have a SNMP sensor that shows the status of the interface on the switch. In it I added 2 channels

1. Admin Status (with lookup table) - interface status enabled or disabled
  2. Status (with a lookup table) - the status of the interface is there a link or not

I need to do this:
When "Up" is displayed in the "Admin status" channel, it means that the interface is enabled and you need to control the "Status" channel. if there is no link (Channel "Status" displays "Down"), then it will display an error. When "Down" is displayed in the "Admin status" channel, it means that the interface is off and the sensor should not go into Error when the "Status" channel is in "Down".

How can this be done in the PRTG?

channel prtg snmp

Created on Aug 22, 2021 9:56:56 PM

Last change on Nov 2, 2021 6:26:51 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

2 Replies

Votes:

Really, no one has a need for such functionality? PRTG developers can you have this functionality in your roadmap?

Created on Nov 1, 2021 8:42:01 PM

Votes:

Hello Slamich,

Directly it is not possible to create a dependency between two channels, but you could use a Sensor Factory Sensor. With this sensor you can use information from existing sensors and do calculations or merge some data.

You can find more information about this sensor here.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Nov 2, 2021 3:42:00 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.