What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cloud HTTP (incl V2) Notifications

Votes:

Hi, I thought the Cloud HTTP V2 sensor might be the right tool to monitor a site from various locations around the globe and send a notification when all (or some) of those are down/unreachable. Currently though it seems that if one of the locations can't reach the site then it sets the sensor to 'down'.

Am I missing something/set something up wrong or can it just not do that... and if not is there another sensor/tool/method I should be using?

cloud http notifications prtg v2

Created on Sep 9, 2021 1:24:34 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello, my understanding is that you are monitoring an HTTP URL that is hosted at different sites? But the URL is the same?

The PRTG will monitor that URL using the IP address that is resolved by the DNS. Or the IP address set on the Device in PRTG where this sensor is running. So if this site should be available from different IP addresses I would recommend to create a Device for each IP and a sensor on each Device so it can use that IP address.

Created on Sep 10, 2021 10:57:13 PM by  Jonathan Mena [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Hi, that's not quite it... we are using the Cloud HTTP v2 sensor to monitor a URL. We don't want a 'Down' alerts when one of your (PRTG's) cloud probes i.e. 'Asia Pacific (Sydney) PRTG Response' is not 'Ok' and cannot reach the URL but do want to receive 'Down' alerts if all the global probes cant reach the URL. Basically, we're trying to avoid false positive's here when a single location cant reach the URL.

Created on Sep 14, 2021 1:29:20 PM

Votes:

Thank you for that information. In that case we don't have a native feature to set the sensors down only if the rest of sensors to the same URL are down, not only one. The only workaround would be to use a Sensor Factory Sensor and create one sensor using the channels of these other sensors. That way you can specify if you want this new sensor to be down only if all the sensors in it are down.

Created on Sep 17, 2021 4:57:50 AM by  Jonathan Mena [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.