What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor CPU with SNMP

Votes:

Hello,

I want to monitore the CPU workload via PRTG, I activated the SNMP Service on the Target Server and allowed all Hosts to reach SNMP, the Firewall is off. But The Sensor shows me this Error Message:

No response (check: firewalls, routing, snmp settings of device, IPs, SNMP version, community, passwords etc) (SNMP-Fehler # -2003)

I searched the Internet for Solutions, but couldnt find anything.

Thank you in advance for your answers

cpu monitoring snmp

Created on Sep 14, 2021 10:16:17 AM

Last change on Sep 14, 2021 11:12:25 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

According to the message you get, the device doesn't return data to the requests executed by the probe. This can be due to a firewall on the network, invalid SNMP credentials configured in the device settings or the device takes a long time to reply.

Therefore, I invite you to test the SNMP configuration by executing a Read Device Uptime request with SNMP Tester, from the corresponding probe server (on which the device is configured).

How to use the tester:

1. Start the SNMP Tester
  2. Configure the tester below point "1. Set SNMP Settings"
    1. Local IP = Any (at first). If this fails, also switch to one of the listed local IPs
    2. Device IP/Port = IP of the target device and the configured port (SNMP uses port 161 by default)
    3. SNMP Version = Select the version which is configured on the device
    4. Community = Community string defined in the target device
  3. Below "Select Request Type", switch to the option "Read Device Uptime"
  4. Press the "Start" Button on the top

Do you get the same error in the result provided by the tool ? If that's the case, I invite you to make sure that the SNMP settings you use and configured in PRTG correspond to those set on your device.

Regards.

Created on Sep 15, 2021 9:33:39 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 15, 2021 9:34:07 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.