What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Clustering - DNS in a failover scenario

Votes:

Hello,

i have set up a prtg cluster with a primary and a secondary node.

Now if i shutdown the primary node, the failover node takes over.

I have set up a dns name "monitoring.domain.local" on the primary node in the userinterface configuration tab. Now the local dns record is logically only for the primary node, in a failover scenario i only can reach the secondary by the ip-address.

Was just wondering, what's the best practise for this set up?

Thanks in advance.

cluster dns failover prtg

Created on Sep 15, 2021 8:19:15 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Marcel,

Yes, If the master/primary node is offline, you can only reach the secondary/failover node by its IP/DNS name. You cannot use the primary node's DNS name since there's no forwarding. You could configure such forwarding within your network but not within PRTG itself I'm afraid.

Created on Sep 17, 2021 12:12:12 PM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.