What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Veeam Sensors - Backup Copy Job monitoring not working

Votes:

Hi

Both the veeam status and the veeam status advanced sensors return "wrong" values for status of backup copy jobs. For the veeam status sensor, backup copy jobs with warning or error in last result are not counted towards the total. The advanced sensor, if pointed to a backup copy job, always has the status "none"

After troubleshooting and finding out that the enterprise manager dashboard shows the same values, meaning it doesn't include backup copy jobs warings and failures in its dashboard statistics. The veeam sensor seems to grab this dashboard data, thus the sensor has those limitations. I contacted veeam support and have been told that this behaviour by the enterprise manager is by design.

Therefore I would like to suggest an improvement to the veeam prtg sensors, fixing this - in my mind - design flaw. The data is there, just the enterprise manager dashboard has what I would call a design flaw.

I'm about to write a custom sensor for the time being, and will update this post if I'm successfull.

backupcopy prtg veeam

Created on Sep 16, 2021 1:21:46 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your contribution.

I would also assume that Veeam uses this approach for a reason. As we rely on the data presented within the Enterprise Manager it's unlikely that we are going to change our approach ending up with inconsistent data in comparison to Veeam.

I understand your request though, so you could check the following custom solutions instead and whether the output suits you better:

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Sep 22, 2021 5:31:44 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 22, 2021 5:31:52 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Sebastian

Thanks, I understand that. I do like the integrated veeam monitor, so we created a script to monitor just the copy jobs separately. For anyone interested, we use a simple script to get the copy jobs that produced an error or warning in the past 24 hours:

$jobsWithWarnings=Get-VBRBackupSession | Where-Object {$_.JobTypeString -eq "Backup Copy" -and $_.EndTime -ge (Get-Date).adddays(-1) -and ($_.result -eq "warning" -or $_.result -eq "failed")}
if($jobsWithWarnings){
   $output="One or more unhealthy jobs: $($jobsWithWarnings|select -ExpandProperty Name|select -First 1)"
}

Created on Sep 22, 2021 6:56:56 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.