What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Plotting a graph of status changes

Votes:

So I suppose this is looking for a report on status changes for post-incident reviews, let me explain.

Say we've had an incident running for a couple of days that causes many sensor outages at different times. I'm looking to report on the overall impact, not individual sensors but the metadata, the numbers of down and warning, graphed over a time period.

I'd expect this to exist as a high level overview but can't find anything in the reports to enable this as everything seems to focus on graphing or displaying each individual sensor. The closest I can get is manually scrolling though hundreds of pages of logs and noting down the times of patches of triggered sensors... surely there's a better way?

graph overview report

Created on Sep 23, 2021 3:46:31 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello Mark,

the PRTG report engine always shows data for individual reports.

You can combine some objects into another sensor and then use that one for reporting.

As alternative, you might want to grab historic data through the PRTG API and combine the data yourself, or import it into other tools.

Created on Sep 24, 2021 4:58:21 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Arne

I've had a look at the Business Process Sensor (from the another sensor link) but it's limited to 50 channels and we've got 2200 sensors with channels underneath. We only effectively want errors and warnings charted but still we're miles away on that approach.

I'll have a look at using the API. Seems a weird omission not having a high level plot available, what makes it worse is that even manually combing through pages and pages of logs there's no filter available to have warning and down statuses, so you have to go through everything twice or look at All which is 3 times as many pages.

Thanks for having a look anyway.

Created on Sep 27, 2021 9:01:23 AM

Votes:

There was a glimmer of hope by using the View as XML export option on the logs page, but for some reason, this ignores the date range you've selected on the page - this seems like a bug, is it?

Created on Sep 27, 2021 9:21:55 AM

Votes:

Hello Mark,

as for the XML report, if you copy that link, does it include a date range, either absolute or relative?

Created on Sep 27, 2021 12:10:04 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.