What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Windows Server Uptime sensor is wrong

Votes:

On one of my servers, the Uptime sensor is reporting that the server has been up 32 days. On the server, the WMI call, the Performance Monitor, the Task Manager are all reporting the server has been up for 1 day. (I did a shutdown, then power up yesterday to see if that would fix it.)

The Log of the sensor shows that "PerfCounters are used Performance Counters are working fine" and that the uptime is 32d.

I even tried deleting the sensor and recreating it. Since this sensor doesn't create a physical log file, where else can I try to track the problem down?

error uptime wmi

Created on Sep 28, 2021 12:59:00 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your post on our knowledge base.

I assume that your system simply reports back the timestamp. PRTG relies on standard WMI metrics and usually shows the data as provided.

You can check the WMI results provided by the targeted device that you want to monitor. For this download our WMI Tester and run it on the host of the PRTG Probe (either Local Probe or Remote Probe) that has the affected sensor.

Configure the same domain, computer name / IP address as well as user and password as used in PRTG in the "Basic" tab. Afterwards, open the "Advanced" tab and select the "Custom" query option. The Windows System Uptime Sensor uses the following query:
SELECT LastBootUpTime, LocalDateTime FROM Win32_OperatingSystem The result will look like:
LastBootUpTime: yyyymmddhhmmss
LocalDateTime: yyyymmddhhmmss

If you calculate the time between those results, e.g. via this calculator you should see the same values as shown in PRTG.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Sep 29, 2021 6:32:56 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sadly your tool has an expired certificate, so won't run under Windows 10 anymore. I Used WMI Explorer, and the lastbootup time is 20210927130627.493256-300 and the LocalDateTIme is 20210929094751.229000-300, for a difference of two days.

This server is the only one being a problem, All the other servers and workstations are reporting properly.

Created on Sep 29, 2021 2:50:25 PM

Votes:

Created on Sep 29, 2021 6:27:54 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This is a Windows 2012 server, and I have already tried all the WMI reset/repairs. PRTG is Showing that the uptime is 32 days, not 2 days.

Created on Sep 29, 2021 6:45:55 PM

Votes:

Hi Belz,

Please contact me via email to [email protected] and provide a full-screen screenshot of the sensor's "Overview" tab along the message.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Sep 30, 2021 7:29:57 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.