What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Searching by IP address

Votes:

How do I search by IP address? If I don't know the hostname of a device, but I know the IP address I would like to search by that. When I use the search facility using an IP address of a device that I know is in PRTG nothing is returned.

ip prtg search

Created on Oct 1, 2021 2:30:00 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

If you have entered the IP address in PRTG in your device settings in field IPv4 Address/DNS Name, you can search for the IP address. If you have entered the hostname (FQDN) here, you can search for this. If you search for the IP and only the hostname is entered you can not find it. The other way round it doesn't work either.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Oct 4, 2021 10:35:02 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

You can search your device only either by IP or by hostname. It depends on which you have added the device. You cannot search for the IP if the host name is unknown to you.

Kind regards

Created on Oct 4, 2021 5:33:20 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

So that I understand correctly. Are you saying that if the IP address is not in the hostname I can't search by IP address?

Created on Oct 4, 2021 8:07:46 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

If you have entered the IP address in PRTG in your device settings in field IPv4 Address/DNS Name, you can search for the IP address. If you have entered the hostname (FQDN) here, you can search for this. If you search for the IP and only the hostname is entered you can not find it. The other way round it doesn't work either.

Kind regards

Created on Oct 4, 2021 10:35:02 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Felix, thank you for the information. Much appriecated.

Created on Oct 4, 2021 11:19:54 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.