What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Windows Server 2019 devices are displaying EID 10036 due to DCOM/PRTG

Votes:

My Win19 server's system logs are full of event ID 10036 errors. They contain the following:

The server-side authentication level policy does not allow the user DOMAIN\PRTG-W10$ SID (S-1-5-21-4234250686-2511414148-4180994211-3252) from address 10.115.64.28 to activate DCOM server. Please raise the activation authentication level at least to RPC_C_AUTHN_LEVEL_PKT_INTEGRITY in client application.

I already tried setting DCOM on the system running PRTG to use "Packet Integrity" as its default auth level. However, the errors persist.

10036 rpc-c-authn-level-pkt-integrity wmi

Created on Oct 5, 2021 4:08:29 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

This is currently a bug which is caused by the windows update KB5004442. Our developers are currently analyzing this issue already.

In the meantime, please double check that all Windows updates are installed on all servers. For other customers installing the update KB5004442 on both servers (target device and PRTG server) solved the issue. Alternatively, the hardening changes can be deactivated again via the registry (which is of course not a long-term solution).

Created on Oct 7, 2021 11:44:15 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I managed to fix the issue. Rebooting the system running PRTG after setting the default DCOM auth level seems to have stopped the errors from appearing any longer.

Created on Oct 7, 2021 3:37:54 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.