What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Create a sensor that monitors the total of Multiple Groups

Votes:

I've looked at both Business Process and Sensor Factory Sensors. Neither appears to work for what I need.

I have a group of several devices (Access Points) for our Local Probe, and a similar group of devices for one of our Remote Probes.

I want to be able to display the total amount of sensors -and their UP/DOWN value- for these 2 groups (one local, one remote) in ONE object on our PRTG Map. Otherwise I would need to place two separate group objects (one local, one remote) on our Map.

Is there any formula for the Sensor Factory, similar to status(sensorID), but instead being something like status(groupID) ??

I was able to add the two group objects within a "Business Process" sensor, but that only gives me the UP/DOWN value....and not a total count of the devices across the two groups. I would like to find a way to display both.

groups sensor values

Created on Oct 14, 2021 3:35:09 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

counting sensors is outside the scope of the factory or business process sensors, but you can use a trick with the factory sensors to at least count down sensors, as their status() function returns the value of 10000 if it is down. Adding those, and multiplying by 0.0001 gives you the number of down sensors.

To compute the number of app sensors, you have to manually provide the value of the total sensors.

In order to actually count sensors per devices, a custom script is necessary using the PRTG API. This however it not trivial to implement. I recommend to first play around with the API calls manually using the web browser URL.

Created on Oct 15, 2021 1:11:07 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 15, 2021 1:11:45 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.