What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Containing Administrative Rights in a group

Votes:

We use Active Directory integration. One group who all share the same AD role have the PRTG admins in it, but also a large number of other users. I have not been able to find a way to make sure the Admin users still have Admin rights while the other users only have Read -Only.

If a create a second AD integration group with Read Only, the users get that as the Primary group, but are still members of the secondary admin group and have access to the Admin functions.

Is there a way to divide the rights in a group who are in the Same AD group?

active-directory administrative-rights prtg

Created on Oct 14, 2021 8:58:48 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Do I understand you correctly that the User is a member of both AD groups in PRTG? Does this also happen for new AD users that log in for the first time, or when you recreate a user?

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Oct 19, 2021 1:41:04 PM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I tried this with a user who had never been in the system.

In AD, they are in a SAP group (R123456 for example)

I am trying to have 2 groups in PRTG linked to this SAP group. One with Admin rights, One without Admin rights.

When the user logged in, PRTG correctly added them to the group with No admin as it was the highest in the group list, but as the user is a member of the SAP group, he also inherited the Admin group. Trying to limit the number of admin users without redoing our AD roles.

Created on Oct 19, 2021 7:53:19 PM

Votes:

Unfortunately, PRTG pulls all the user group information from the AD, so that if a user a member of multiple groups, and these groups are set up in PRTG, he will be a member of all groups.

The only workaround is to create PRTG only AD groups, and have one for the admin users and one for the Read Only users, and set those up in PRTG.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Oct 22, 2021 11:09:29 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.