What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Server - no SNMP-Response, but SNMP Tester works

Votes:

Hello,

I have an licensed PRTG-Server working in two different networks on the same network interface. I am trying to get informations about an older HP-UPS via SNMP v1.

The device is reachable via PING. The SNMP-community/port on the SNMP-Tester and the Server are completely the same. When I run a test with SNMP Tester I get all Informations I want. When I configure a sensor for this device, the SNMP gets an timeout "-2003".

Even when I try the "Read Device uptime"... SNMP Tester works PRTG Server itself doesnt work

Ping does work, and also other sensors like http e.g.

I can´t find the problem... there is no visible difference. Do you have any idea?

-2003 prtg snmp snmp-tester snmp-v1

Created on Oct 21, 2021 11:30:57 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello again,

I found the "problem" at the server itself. In the "PRTG Administration Tool", the probe settings for monitoring was only set for one IP adress. I've set the settings to automatic and now it works fine. Problem solved.

Thank you again! :)

Created on Oct 22, 2021 12:55:04 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

The error -2003 indicates a general connection problem with the target server. This means that the Core Server didn't receive a respond from the target device. You may check with Wireshark whether there is a difference between SNMP Tester and PRTG.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Oct 22, 2021 8:41:26 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for your reply and advise. As I can see in Wireshark, the sensor from prtg-server is checking via snmp on the wrong network. (one network card, two different networks) In SNMP-Tester you can set your local IP and it works fine.

Is it possible to change that behavior in PRTG-Server?

Created on Oct 22, 2021 12:41:51 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello again,

I found the "problem" at the server itself. In the "PRTG Administration Tool", the probe settings for monitoring was only set for one IP adress. I've set the settings to automatic and now it works fine. Problem solved.

Thank you again! :)

Created on Oct 22, 2021 12:55:04 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.