What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Clear channels when cloning a sensor

Votes:

Today, if you clone a sensor (e.g. from the management view of the device tree), all channels from the cloned sensor get copied over too. This can result in erroneous channels on the new copy.

For example, if I create a CPU load sensor on server A that has 8 procs, then clone that sensor onto server B that only has 4 procs, the B sensor will still show 8 channels. This is a trivial example and possibly easy to ignore these extra 4 CPU channels, but this becomes much much worse for other types of sensors and as the channel count increases.

In my opinion, any time a sensor is cloned to a new device all channels should be cleared so that we can gather clean data. Otherwise, this makes cloning sensors almost completely useless for me. I have to re-create every sensor on new devices manually so that I can be sure I get the right channels. If channels were cleared on cloning, it would drastically decrease set up time for new devices/sensors.

channels cloning sensors

Created on Oct 21, 2021 6:05:13 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi there,

Your findings are correct here, the clone is indeed a clone of the previous sensor including the channels. If you want to re-discover a sensor, you can either manually create a new sensor or use the auto-discovery. For similar devices with the same sensors, you can create device templates so that only these sensors are getting discovered.

We are looking into new ways to interact with PRTG via the GUI and API, Cloning / Creating of Objects will be part of that. As it's ongoing, I cannot tell you exactly how it will look like yet.

Therefore, I personally recommend to use the auto-discovery with your own template to achieve your desired result.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Oct 22, 2021 8:17:59 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.