What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP sensors on QNAP NAS get no response after a while

Votes:

Hello,

I have set up SNMP sensors on a new QNAP NAS equipment (TS-470 Pro). The SNMP service has been activated on the NAS. After being set up, sensors collect informations properly for an hour or so and then fail with a 'No response' status. When I have a look at the timeline, sensors go up and down, switching between No Response and correct status. I can't make it stable at all, and I don't have this kinf of problem with another similar NAS (TS-453 A).

Thanks for help!

Thomas Williamson

nas qnap snmp

Created on Oct 27, 2021 7:45:47 AM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for your message.

I have recently received a similar case regarding SNMP sensors not working properly on QNAP NAS. The issue was related to an update which considerably increased the delay between each SNMP request and their response sent by the device.

Therefore, I invite you to check if the NAS has received any updates recently as well as execute a capture with Wireshark by following the steps below:

• On the probe server which monitors the NAS, download and open Wireshark
  • Select the corresponding interface and use the filter "host IP/DNS and port SNMPPort" with the information replaced accordingly
  • When the capture starts, wait a few seconds to get SNMP paquets and then stop the capture
  • Finally, click on multiple SNMP requests Get-request and check how long the device took to reply to them with the help of the bar displayed on the left

If the device takes more than 5 seconds to reply, I invite you to increase the value of the parameter Timeout (Sec.) under Credential for SNMP devices in the parent device. This will gave more time to the request to arrive and avoid the error No response.

If you have questions, do not hesitate.

Regards.

Created on Oct 27, 2021 10:54:12 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Florian,

The QNAP-NAS is in the latest version available, as it has been installed recently.

Wireshark shows no much delay for SNMP responses (less than a sec.).

I have tried to change timeout parameter of the parent device, setting from 5 sec. to 10 sec. The problem remains but seems to be delayed (appears later than with a 5 sec. value).

I have set it to 30 sec. this morning and I'm still keeping an eye on sensors to see if it is becoming stable. I have launched another Wireshark capture and keep it running until one sensor fails to collect data.

Thanks again for your help!

Thomas Williamson

Created on Oct 28, 2021 9:01:43 AM

Votes:

Dear Florian,

The sensors are stable since I set the timeout to 30 sec. (about 20 hours ago).

Thomas Williamson

Created on Oct 29, 2021 11:19:21 AM

Votes:

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for the update. Glad to hear the sensors work properly since you increased the timeout.

If the issue still occur, do not hesitate to contact me again.

Created on Oct 29, 2021 11:38:43 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.