What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

monitor device only when online

Votes:

Hi,

Is it possible to implement some kind of logic to monitor device only when it's online? When is offline I'd like to not get alerted and not being shown as down status.

This would be useful in i.e AVD (Azure Virtual Desktop) host pool scenario when you have a pool of multiple hosts which get powered on / off during the day depending on the user demand (autoscale) I'd like to still monitor resources on those machines like CPU, RAM, Disk but only when they are on. When they are off I'd like to suppress the down status (automatically) because I'd know the device was powered down by autoscale mechanism.

avd azure host-pool prtg

Created on Nov 5, 2021 9:36:50 AM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Kristof,

That's possible via Ping Sensors if you set the ping sensor to the Master Object below the dependency options on the ping sensor's settings page. This will pause all sensors beside the ping sensor once the ICMP requests fail.

To not show the down status, the "Auto-Acknowledge" feature in the settings would work.

For the notifications, you can break the inheritance in the group where your sensors or devices of interested are located and just create notifications according to your needs.

With the notifications, to just receive messages from all sensors beside the Ping sensor, it's getting more interesting. I'd recommend to create a Library and filter the node for sensor types. Leave out the Ping Sensors and then assign the notification template to the complete library.

Ensure that the linked object in the library is the correct group and not the root object, otherwise it would use the notification for every sensor in PRTG.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Nov 5, 2021 12:08:26 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Felix, Thank you for your prompt reply.

That "Acknowledge Automatically" tickbox is not too bad. I must have overlooked that option when probably focused more on the device settings rather than ping. Acknowledge status is good, not perfect because it still shows on the Alarms tab but better than Down status.

I wish there was "Pause Automatically" tickbox too.

Created on Nov 5, 2021 12:38:09 PM

Votes:

Hi Kristof,

Great to hear that you like that approach, or at least that you can live with that :)

Pausing is a concept in our Software, with the logic in mind that PRTG stops the monitoring, which contradicts with your wish to start the monitoring as soon as the device is available; we need to monitor this first.

Anyways, enjoy using our PRTG Network Monitor!

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Nov 8, 2021 7:45:29 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.