What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Why is the log of an SSH Script sensor (or any sensor AFAICS) not being displayed in the UI?

Votes:

The sentence "Please check the sensor log." in the error messages is just kidding if I – comprehensible due to security policies – don't have access to the PRTG server's file system.

Without a log error tracing is old-fashioned, outdated, cumbersome , time-consuming, annoying guess & try & error and guess & try & error again and again and again and ...

log sensor ui

Created on Dec 1, 2021 10:49:46 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

I understand that it feels cumbersome to you to ask the server administrator of your PRTG instance or the Remote Probe instance for permission. It's always about the point of view. If we decided to integrate such detailed logs in the web interface, we would first need to visualize it in a readable format beside the sensor message. Especially for longer error messages, that would not ease the investigation. The other downside of that is that all users with access to that PRTG object would see that information as well. To avoid that, another layer of access rights just for these type of logs / messages would be required.

There are no plans at the very moment to change this behavior, so requesting a restricted file access just for particular files / folders, like the ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs\sensors directory, could also be a workaround if admitted by your security team.

Another interesting way would be to put additional logging to another location, and to eventually monitor access this as described here.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 6, 2021 9:20:11 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Unfortunately in PRTG Manual: Syslog Receiver Sensor:

Remarks

• This sensor does not support cluster probes. You can only set it up on local probes or remote probes.

Created on Feb 24, 2023 3:51:36 PM

Votes:

Hi IGB,

That's correct, receiver sensors do not work on the cluster probe. If you need to send the syslog messages to more devices than the local probe, you could think of adding the sensor to one of your Remote Probes.

Since Remote Probes can be configured to send their data to both nodes, the master as well as the failover, you could see the information there.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Technical Support Team

Created on Feb 27, 2023 9:35:53 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 28, 2023 1:22:31 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Felix,

I must confess that I do not fully understand what you are talking about. Our Devices view shows:

Root

├─ <name of the Server PRTG is running on> (named Probe <server name> when opened)
│…├─ Device <server name>
│…├─ a few ...
│…└─ ... empty groups

├─ Cluster-Probe (named Probe Cluster-Probe when opened)
│…├─ Gerät der Cluster-Probe
│…├─ many groups/sub-groups ...
│…└─ ... with a total of 2.500+ sensors

└─ PRTG Core Server (named Device PRTG Core Server when opened)

So, I understand what a cluster probe is but what is the local probe and the other cluster node and what are Remote Probes?

And, isnt' there a contradiction in "receiver sensors do not work on the cluster probe" vs. "send the syslog messages to [...] the local probe (since this is what the cluster probe is as well [...]"?

If the cluster probe is also a local probe than syslog msgs can be sent there (2nd part) which contradicts the doc and your 1st part ("do not work on the cluster probe"), doesn't it?

Regards

Geri

Created on Feb 27, 2023 7:41:14 PM

Votes:

Hello Geri,

I removed the sentence from my previous case since this can indeed be misleading for customers who do not yet know about remote probes and are getting into the terminology we use around PRTG.

since this is what the cluster probe is as well

I wasn't aware that remote probes were new to you and the cluster feature of remote probes to send the results to multiple remote probes, pardon. I recommend to take a look at this article, which should explain the different probes quite well: https://blog.paessler.com/everything-you-should-know-about-probes-in-prtg

So getting back to your schema, remote probes will be on the same level as the probe on the PRTG server itself (called local probe), the cluster probe and the PRTG core server.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Technical Support Team

Created on Feb 28, 2023 1:30:38 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.