What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor Factory - Automatic creating from Template

Votes:

We have one Device Template based on SNMP Lib.

We need a sensor that is a sum of two OID values on that Lib. We know for do that we can use Sensor Factory that gives me the sensor result caulated besed in other sensors. Our question is if we have possibility to do that automatic from Template and not create manualy? When i create the device this specif sensor also be automatic created.

Or if there are other way to reach that.

Many thanks the assistance Daniel

autodiscovery prtg sensor-type

Created on Dec 6, 2021 2:33:34 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the update. It's not possible to add a Factory Sensor to a device template. Therefore, you would need to do this manually.

Created on Dec 8, 2021 1:01:52 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Many Thanks for your reply and support.

Is possible at least undetstand if there are ny way that this can be done?

We need something like Traffic Sensor, where you have Total channel (created automaticly), that is a Sum (calculation) of other two channels/OIDs (In/Out).

Its is very painfull if i've to create manualy a sensor and can't create a automatic process. In our case is something like 400 sensors/channels or more.

Sorry to double check but i don't want believe there are no other way to create a automatic calculated sensor/channel based on other sensor/channel. Many thanks once again for assistance

Created on Dec 9, 2021 2:00:23 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

the issue is that you need to configure the Sensor IDs in the configuration of the Factory Sensor. This cannot be done automatically and therefore the Sensor cannot be created via the Auto Discovery.
What you can check is whether the following third party API is to automatically create this Sensor: https://github.com/lordmilko/PrtgAPI

Please note that don't support this API since it's a third party tool.

Created on Dec 10, 2021 8:50:44 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.