What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Notification Template only notify when errors persist after end of schedule

Votes:

Hello team,

so there is maintenance every day during specific timeframe where i dont mind errors in sensors but still need to query them for historic data. But i want just to be notified when the error persists even after the schedule ends.

When i select "Discard notifications during paused status" i get no notification when the sensor got into error state and still persists because it happened during paused notification template and the state-trigger never got initiated.

On "Collect notifications and send them when reactivated" most of the notifications would be false alarms and probably heal itself during maintenance.

Kind regards

maintenance notification prtg schedule

Created on Dec 6, 2021 4:31:23 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

PRTG should automatically trigger an alert if the sensors are in still in error after the schedule maintenance, therefore no action is needed from your side if the notification triggers are configured accordingly. You can then use the option "Discard notifications during paused status" in the notification template to avoid receiving alerts you do not need.

If I have not understood your goal correctly, please provide more details about it.

Regards.

Created on Dec 8, 2021 3:35:13 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

unfortunately, a notification is not triggered after end of schedule for notification template. Remember: There is no maintenance window set --> the sensor is polled 24/7

The schedule is only set on the notification template. When "Discard notifications during paused status" is selected, the notifications are discarded and not triggered another time after the schedule ends, if the sensor is still in error state.

Kind regards

Created on Dec 9, 2021 12:18:25 PM

Votes:

Thank you for the update.

The settings of the notification template is correct nevertheless you need to modify the notification trigger to trigger a new alert at a specific interval as illustrated below:

When sensor state is Down for at least 60 seconds, perform Template
When sensor state is Down for at least 300 seconds, perform Template and repeat every X minutes
When sensor state is no longer Down, perform no notification

So, when the schedule is over and the sensor is still in error state PRTG will still trigger alerts at the specific interval. Here is the manual of the notification trigger if needed: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/sensor_notifications_settings#state

Kind regards.

Created on Dec 9, 2021 4:01:26 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.