What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Recommended sensors.

Votes:

Hello Paessler.

I am monitoring Meraki appliances with PRTG. This is done by monitoring an URL via SNMP with a specific community per customer, thus getting an UP/DOWN sensor for each piece of equipment. I have 3 levels of SLA on the units, and there fore i have created the same device 3 times, and deleted the sensors i dont need on each of them. This works as intended. However, not i need to add new sensors to a device since i got a new site, and i dont want to do an autodiscovery, since it is a pretty big piece of work to identify and remove the sensors not needed every time this situation occurs(which is pretty often) i was hoping to be able to use the "Recommended sensors" functionallity, getting a list of all the sensors on the device and then adding the needed new sensors from here, but this does not work. Nothing shows up when i pres the "recommend sensors button". Common sense tells me that this is due to the fact that when i do a autodiscovery on the Device i need to do it with a template that I imported to PRTG to get any sensors to show up. So the Question is: How do i get PRTG to recommend sensors using the template that is neccesary to get the sensors from the device via SNMP?

Please Advice?

meraki recommended-sensors template

Created on Dec 15, 2021 2:58:05 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Rasmus,

Thanks for reaching out to us. You assumption is correct here: The customized templates in your installation do not apply to the results of the recommended sensors feature. I'm afraid that this cannot be tweaked in the current version of PRTG.

I'm not totally sure if you already did that: You can create a dummy device and just add the sensors of your choice to it. Then save this as a new device template for new machines to add.

This would probably the best way to narrow down the sensors to the most important ones for you.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 20, 2021 12:07:34 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.