What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Custom SNMP Probe with Integer and String values

Votes:

I want to create a probe for my APCs that will show just the reliant data I need. Some of this data would be Input Voltage, Output Load, etc... These all have integer based OID numbers. Then there are other items I would like to know list like Last Battery Test Date, Last Battery Replacement Date. I have located the OID numbers but they are string values.

In the SNMP Custom Advanced probe I can input up to 10 OID, but I cant select String as a type... In the SNMP Custom String probe I can input string values, but only 1 per probe.

I figured I would create a single dummy device...put all the OID probes on the dummy device and then use the Sensor Factory to create the probe I need...but I cant figure out how to program a String item since it really has no channel associated to that particular piece of data.

Is there a way around the issue I am trying to get past?

custom-sensor snmp snsor-factory

Created on Dec 16, 2021 10:09:38 PM

Last change on Dec 22, 2021 9:03:43 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

9 Replies

Votes:

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for your message.

It's likely that you eventually end up with multiple sensors at once depending on the data that you like to monitor. That'd be not unusual.

What might be worth checking is if either one of the following resources provide you with enough detail and suit your needs already:

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Dec 22, 2021 6:18:52 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

These links dont really help. Is there a way to create a single probe with multiple string OIDs? I need something similar to the Custom SNMP probe that can be created with the 10 unique OIDs. Unfortunately this custom does not allow for string values to be displayed properly...or I have not found out how to display them properly.

Created on Dec 23, 2021 6:14:46 PM

Votes:

Hello Michael,

The SNMP Custom Advanced Sensor can have up to 10 different channels but is capable to only monitor numeric values.

The SNMP Custom String Sensor however is the one being used for String values but with only one channel.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Dec 24, 2021 10:58:52 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That is what I have stated in my previous emails.

Let me ask this… I downloaded and installed the APC UPS.oidlib file. When I run the probe installation for this I get 10 different probes. When I load the oidlib file into the PRTG SNMB Importer tool I do not see the coding for Last Battery Test or System Uptime. Where or how are these OID codes being include in this template?

{https://ibb.co/343thQq}

Created on Jan 5, 2022 3:05:16 PM

Votes:

Hi Michael,

Just for clarification: With "probe" you are actually referring to a sensor and with "PRTG SNMB Importer" you are referring to the MIB Importer?

Where did you download the .oidlib file from?

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Jan 5, 2022 10:12:34 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It looks to already be a part of the PRTG install package. I was following the reply to this KB article to reverse engineer this library and create my own.

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/60367-how-can-i-monitor-additional-counters-with-the-snmp-apc-hardware-sensor

Created on Jan 5, 2022 10:26:58 PM

Votes:

Hey Michael,

First I want to assure that we are both on the same page here, since I'm a bit confused about some wording. A probe is the monitoring device that captures the data and I think that you are actually looking for a sensor that shows multiple strings that are requested via specific OIDs as results. Is that correct?

Therefore, please note that string cannot get displayed in a channel (a channel is one returned value in the sensor). Strings will always be displayed in the Sensor message. There are specific Sensor that help to handle those strings and change the sensor state accordingly, but it is not possible to have multiple channels for those. The sensor types you should check for this are the following:

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 17, 2022 1:09:57 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 17, 2022 1:10:45 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The original task was to have an output of string values similar to the Add Sensor > SNMP Custom Table option. This does not appear to be an available option. So trying to continue to try and find a work around to this limitation I noticed that I could choose the add Sensor > SNMP Library option and choose the “APC UPS.oidlib” file that was provided in KB article mentioned before.

Choosing this option gives me the following values:
Run Time Remaining
Battery Actual Voltage
Battery Temp
Input Freq
Input Line Voltage
Output Freq
Output Load
Output Volt
Last Batter Test Result
System Uptime.

Since I don’t need some of the specific items list in this oidlib file I loaded this into the Paessler MIB Importer to create a new oidlib file and strip out the items I do not need and try to add the items I would like into it. When I load the file into the importer…some of the items listed above are not shown in the imported list. I was asking how these are added in, if their OID codes are not listed in the file when I import it into the import tool.
Here are the values I see when I load the oidlib file and the values I see when I load it into the importer. As you can see…”I” and “J” are listed in the added sensor, but are not listed in the MIB Importer…as well as “K” is not listed in the added sensor, but is listed in the MIB Importer.
If I wanted to create a custom oidlib file using the one below as a template…if I wanted to replace Input Line Voltage with another sensor…I should be able to load the oidlib file into the importer, delete the oid code and resave it as a new oidlib file, but I cant figure out how to remove System Uptime because its not listed when the file is imported…so how or where is this item being designated to be added to this library sensor list?
{https://ibb.co/343thQq}

Created on Jan 18, 2022 2:50:00 PM

Last change on Jan 19, 2022 4:32:39 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

If you want to compare values from the MIB and the Sensor that got added here, you should check the according OIDs and not go for the name.

In the MIB Importer you can get the according OID when clicking on the according "group" and in PRTG you need to open the Settings of the added sensor. That way you can see what OID is actually taken for each channel.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 27, 2022 6:21:28 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.