What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to Monitor VPN Status via MIB files.

Votes:

Hello,

How can I Monitor VPN (Sophos) Status, Ping, via MIB files. We have more than 100 Clients who use Sophos as FW and veryone of them have VPN. Is it Possible in that way via MIB to Monitor VPN ?

mib sophos vpn

Created on Dec 27, 2021 8:12:21 AM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Jasin,

To monitor the VPN of Sophos XG firewall, I invite you to download the corresponding MIB files (for version 17 and 18) here: https://docs.sophos.com/nsg/sophos-firewall/18.0/Help/en-us/webhelp/onlinehelp/AdministratorHelp/Administration/SNMP/index.html#mib-and-oids.

Then, open the MIB file which corresponds to your version with the MIB Importer tool. You should then find the OIDs which provide information regarding the VPN tunnels (under sfosipsec vpn tunnel).

Afterwards, you have the possibility to export only these OIDs by enabling the partial selection in the menu File and then use the button Save Partial Selection As.. from the same menu.

Finally, import the oidlib file in the snmplibs folder located by default under "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\". You should then be able to create sensors based on the oidlib file by using the SNMP Library sensor.

If you have questions, do not hesitate.

Regards.

Created on Dec 27, 2021 10:39:24 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 27, 2021 10:40:14 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Florian,

Thank you for your quick reply. I have followed all the steps and completed them successfully. Now when I want to add the sensor I get an error message see this picture:

https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/1jpr8KjhjZ90GMj3gYABVg

mib1.PGN - Path where i created the folder snmplibs and put the oidlib. mib2.PNG - The error.

Thank you.!

Created on Dec 28, 2021 1:43:37 PM

Votes:

Hello Jasin,

Thank you for your feedback.

Regarding the error SNMP -2003, it indicates that the probe has not receive any response from the target device. Therefore, can you please check that SNMP is activated on the corresponding interface in your firewall under Administration > Device access as illustrated below:

Device access Sophos

I also invite you to make sure that the SNMP agent is enabled on your firewall and that PRTG is able to execute query against it (under Administration > SNMP), as illustrated below:

SNMP configuration Sophos

Finally, the SNMP settings (port and community) must be the same as the one defined in the device settings in PRTG, under Credentials for SNMP devices.

SNMP Settings PRTG

Afterwards, PRTG should be able to communicate with the firewall via SNMP. If you still encounter the issue, then I invite you to check if there is a rule blocking the traffic on the corresponding port.

Regards.

Created on Dec 28, 2021 2:06:32 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.