What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Problem: Unable to reach server through standard URL. Solution: Turn off SON if your network has it

Votes:

Hi, this is not so much a question, but a solution to a problem I encountered when using PRTG. I'm a home user, and though this problem really applies to anyone running a server for the first time, it applied in my case when trying to access the web interface of PRTG.

After resetting my router, my registered domain, a private site with an SSL, could no longer reach my PRTG server PRTG. Let's call it "myprtgsite.net" At first I tried contacting my web hosting provider, and I struggled for days with them, but they couldn't help. Along the way I realized I could still connect to the site by entering my computer name along with the port number. So "MyPC:443" worked for example. Finally, I could connect.

However, my SSL was gone when I did this, and I didn't like that workaround anyway. I had paid for the domain name with the expectation that it would work. Finally, I reached someone at the web hosting company who recommended I call my ISP, so I did.

This turned out to be the right decision. Verizon, my hosting provider, has SON, or "self organizing network" turned on by default. They suggested turning it off, and wallah! My website name worked again. After a week, the problem was solved. "myprtgsite.net" didn't lead to oblivion anymore.

Being more of a networker in training than most of you guys, I'm sure, I don't quite understand how the SON feature interfered with the DNS server and blocked the URL from connecting. The lady at Verizon explained that the feature could be a little buggy and needed updating. Well, until it does, I know I'm going nowhere near it. But does anyone have a better answer, as to why exactly the SON feature blocked my server from being accessed by my domain name? Thanks!

dns-problems prtg server son

Created on Jan 3, 2022 8:20:03 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Thank you for that information, usually we also recommend to contact the provider for these kind of issues. From the PRTG perspective we don't have more details on why this could be blocking that port. It really doesn't look like that feature is for that purpose.

Created on Jan 7, 2022 5:24:55 AM by  Jonathan Mena [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply. I did some reading and it appears SON started out as an exclusive feature just for LTE networks and mobile phones. But Verizon Fios has been the pioneer in bringing it to home Wi-Fi networks, with mixed results as we can see. I'm no expert so I can't say how it influences the DNS server though, which is where it blocked my PRTG access (at least through my domain name).

Created on Jan 11, 2022 5:55:59 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.