What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Syslog sensor not showing messages

Votes:

I have added a syslog sensor to PRTG and there are no messages being displayed. I installed a Kiwi server on the same machine and it receives messages successfully. I made sure the display settings are showing 0-7 severity. The Cisco is running on debug level at the moment but the Kiwi server was not storing past a certain number of entries. My guess is it might be some setting but would prefer the prig server handle it with the notification options.

prtg snmp syslog

Created on Feb 8, 2022 5:44:08 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

If a different tool is receiving the information successfully on the same server, I would recommend to check the settings of the syslog sensor. Please make sure that the port is configured correctly and also assure that PRTG is allowed to use the port. In addition, I would recommend to remove all filter, since it is easier to see if there is anything received that way.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 16, 2022 6:08:12 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply. I removed the error filters and double checked that the port is set to 514 (the same one that Kiwi server was using) and unfortunately still no messages. How would I ensure PRTG is 'allowed to use' that port?

Thanks again for the help.

David

Created on Feb 16, 2022 6:22:26 PM

Votes:

Hey,

I do not think that it is actually helpful for others to analyze you case here in the KB. Therefore, I would ask you to open a support case.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 18, 2022 3:32:26 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.