What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Check status remotely

Votes:

Hi,

I've configured PRTG for monitoring and setup local login as well as installed your android app. We have DHCP for outside access.

How do I access the monitors using your app? I was hoping your system installed on the PC has a dial home functionality so that I can use your app and I don't need any port forwarding on my end.

Thank you, Daniel

access app wan

Created on Feb 27, 2022 11:37:56 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for your message.

Regarding the external access to PRTG, I'm afraid that it is necessary to have the port used for HTTPS (default: 443) opened on the firewall. Otherwise, the mobile application won't be able to communicate with the PRTG server.

In case opening the port is not an option, I would recommend to use a VPN to get access to PRTG from outside.

If you have questions, do not hesitate.

Regards.

Created on Feb 28, 2022 7:34:27 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Can your software report our public IP incase it changes? By email perhaps?

Created on Feb 28, 2022 8:59:28 AM

Votes:

Yes, this is possible by using the DNS v2 sensor with the options Filter Usage and Filter value configured accordingly.

This way, the sensor will go to Error state (due to the channel "Matched Record Count" being equal to 0) and trigger a notification (email, sms, etc.) to notify you that the IP address is not the same anymore.

Created on Feb 28, 2022 10:42:18 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I need the new WAN IP address, any way to do that?

From what you are saying, the DNS v2 sensor will just notify that the IP is not the same anymore.

Created on Feb 28, 2022 5:16:10 PM

Votes:

The DNS v2 will indeed trigger an alert when the IP changes however it will also provide you the new IP address it resolved in the error message (between parenthesis):

DNSv2sensor EmailNotification

If you have questions, let me know.

Created on Mar 1, 2022 7:22:49 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you, does this look correct?

Sensor settings 1 Sensor settings 2

Created on Mar 2, 2022 11:29:47 AM

Last change on Mar 2, 2022 11:31:46 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

If you want to monitor your own IP address, you need to use your domain address ("mycompany.com") in the sensor settings.

The address defined in the device settings must also be the one of a public DNS server such as Cloudflare (1.1.1.1), which can resolve your domain address.

Then, I invite you to make sure that a State trigger is configured under the Notification Triggers tab of the sensor with your template. Otherwise, you won't get any notification.

Created on Mar 2, 2022 11:45:23 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.