What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI Works From PowerShell But PRTG Interface Shows Error

Votes:

I'm having this problem with a number -- although not all -- of Windows 2012 R2 servers. For the WMI sensors for CPU Load and Pagefile Usage I'm getting this through the PRTG interface:

The WMI query does not return any results. The reason might be an issue with the host's WMI system. For more information, see https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/1093. (code: PE016)

I've been through that and done many of the (less drastic) things suggested there. None of them have helped. The really confusing thing, though, is using PowerShell from the PRTG server returns values!

PS C:\Windows\system32> $adminaccount = "[hostname]\monitor"
PS C:\Windows\system32> $PASSWORD = ConvertTo-SecureString [password] -AsPlainText -Force
PS C:\Windows\system32> $UNPASSWORD = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PsCredential $adminaccount, $PASSWORD
PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-WmiObject -query "SELECT * FROM Win32_PageFileUsage" -ComputerName "[IP address]" -Credential $UNPASSWORD

Caption                                 Name                                                                  PeakUsage
-------                                 ----                                                                  ---------
C:\pagefile.sys                         C:\pagefile.sys                                                            1642

I'm mystified as to why this would work perfectly, just not through PRTG. Any ideas?

pe016 prtg wmi

Created on Mar 2, 2022 4:16:16 PM

Last change on Mar 7, 2022 6:19:21 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

please use the WMI Tester https://www.paessler.com/de/tools/wmitester to run these query:

SELECT percentusage FROM Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfOS_PagingFile WHERE Name = '_Total'

(You could also use Get-WmiObject in Powershell of course, to see what you get, but in any case please also test with our app.)

Do you then get a result? As we only read that one property, and also filter with WHERE, the result could be different

Created on Mar 7, 2022 5:19:39 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Testing from PowerShell returns nothing. The WMI Tester app doesn't even appear to be doing anything so I guess that means it's returning nothing. Testing with a known good server works so, yes, it's returning nothing.

Created on Mar 9, 2022 1:52:20 PM

Votes:

Hello,

if there is nothing returned, the sensor cannot work either.

If you widen the query (using less filters), can you get at least some output?

If rebooting the computer does not help, please also have a look at the WMI repair list.

Created on Mar 10, 2022 1:44:11 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It turned out that the monitor account had been removed from the Performance Monitor Users group on all the servers with issues. I'm not clear on how that happened but I don't think it has anything to do with PRTG, so problem solved.

Created on Mar 11, 2022 4:10:20 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.