What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP HPE ProLiant Logical Disk Sensor appropriate for monitoring RAID status?

Votes:

Is the above mentioned sensor appropriate for monitoring the RAID status of my HP ProLiant Servers? I don't exactly understand what this sensor does. If this sensor is not suitable for my use case, how do I monitor the raid status of my HP servers?

proliant raid snmp

Created on Mar 10, 2022 3:58:07 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Jannik,

Thank you for your message.

Regarding what you would like to achieve, the SNMP HPE Proliant Logical Disk sensor will only give you the status of the disk. Therefore, I would recommend to go with the SNMP HPE ProLiant System Health Sensor which uses the OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.1.3 to return the Disk Controller Status.

You can also add a SNMP Custom sensor with the OID above to monitor only this information. However, I invite you to make sure that your device provides a value for it by executing a request with SNMP Tester.

How to use the tester:

1. Start SNMP Tester on the probe server which monitors your device
2. Configure the tester below point "1. Set SNMP Settings"
2.1 Local IP = Any (at first). If this fails, also switch to one of the listed local IPs
2.2 Device IP/Port = IP of the target device and the configured port (SNMP uses port 161 by default)
2.3 SNMP Version = Select the version which is configured on the device
2.4 Community = Community string defined in the target device
3. Below "Select Request Type", switch to the option "Custom OID" and copy the OID above
4. Press the "Start" Button on the top

If both configuration and OID are correct you should get a value which corresponds to one of the states listed in the link provided above (other(1), ok(2), degraded(3), failed(4)).

Finally, you can also import the MIB file of your device with the MIB Importer tool and then check which OID returns the status of the RAID. When you have identified it, you can:

• Enable partial selection in the menu File of MIB Importer
  • Select the OID by using the check box
  • Export it as .oidlib file and copy it in the snmplibs folder of your PRTG server ("C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\snmplibs")
  • Finally, add a SNMP Library sensor with the oidlib file selected to create a sensor for it.

If you have questions, do not hesitate.

Regards.

Created on Mar 15, 2022 12:38:16 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.