What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG cluster

Votes:

Hi guys! I have a question about PRTG cluster. How can I activate a second server with the same license key as the main one to be able to join the cluster? When I try to activate the server with the same key, isn't there a risk of it telling me that the key is already in use?

cluster key prtg

Created on Mar 14, 2022 4:45:51 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

You need to activate your server as failover node in order to avoid the "has already been activated" error message. Please configure your cluster as explained here: https://www.paessler.com/support/how-to/failover-cluster. Make sure your new server is joined to the cluster as failover and head to "Setup > License Information > Refresh Information" afterwards.

Created on Mar 16, 2022 11:55:33 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

But do I have to first make my primary server the master of the cluster, and then insert the secondary into the cluster? That way the message that the key is already being used will not appear? Or do I have to download the same version of my PRTG main, with a generic key, insert it in the cluster and then update the key to the same one used in the main?

Created on Mar 21, 2022 12:33:23 PM

Votes:

You need to first make your primary server the master node of the cluster. After adding the failover to your cluster afterwards, you should be able to activate it as failover node (it does not matter if you were using a generic key before). If you cannot get it to work, feel free to send us screenshots of the issue and license information to [email protected] so we can take a closer look.

Created on Mar 22, 2022 6:58:15 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you so much guys! One more doubt. It is recommended that the same version of PRTG be used on both servers in the cluster, right? How could I install the same version of my PRTG on the secondary server. With the same installer that is on my primary server? If so, wouldn't there be conflict between license keys? Or is there any way to download this version elsewhere?

Created on Mar 23, 2022 11:52:09 AM

Votes:

Yes, using the same version on both servers is not only recommended but necessary (as different PRTG versions wouldn't be able to connect to each other).

For this you can copy and use the installer called "PRTG Installer (Currently Installed Version).exe" which you can find at "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\PRTG Installer Archive" on your primary server by default.

Created on Mar 23, 2022 12:38:05 PM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.