What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

local probe add snmp windows service 127.0.0.1 error

Votes:

Hi There,

I wanted to add an SNMP windows sensor to a local probe, and update the template. I read in the manual It might not work to query data from a probe device via SNMP (querying localhost, 127.0.0.1, or ::1). Add this device to PRTG with the IP address that it has in your network and create the SNMP sensor on this device instead. I changed Administrative Probe Settings from auto to 192.168.1.160 but this doens't help

How can I do this?

ip-adress local-probe snmp

Created on Mar 21, 2022 8:34:31 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Have you created a new device under the local probe to add the SNMP sensors on? If not yet, can you please do so and make sure that the SNMP credentials are properly configure in the device Settings tab > Credentials for SNMP Devices: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/device_settings#cred_snmp.

If you add the SNMP System Uptime sensor to the newly created device, does it work?

Regards.

Created on Mar 23, 2022 1:19:58 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It is the local probe itself that the sensor needs to get...Not an existing or new device..

Created on Mar 24, 2022 8:58:45 AM

Votes:

I do understand however I would like to check here if the SNMP sensors work on a device with the localhost address. If they don't, it would mean that there is an issue with the SNMP configuration (on the server or in the device settings in PRTG). Which error do you get so far when adding the sensor on the probe device ?

Created on Mar 28, 2022 1:15:49 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 28, 2022 1:16:23 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.