What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Best way to establish priority notification

Votes:

We are a large global company and when initially setting up our instance we created remote probes for each site to manage and gather information for all our servers, host, and network devices at the location. Originally everything in our instance had the same notification triggers for all devices and sensors and as expected it got rather noisy, very quickly.

We are changing our alerting set up to a more priority based system with three levels (p1: important, high priority devices, needs to be addressed immediately- keeps current triggers, p2: semi-important, can wait for normal business hours to be handled- auto- acknowledge, p3: mainly for data collection-no triggers), I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on what the best way to implement this change would be? At the moment, we will be changing a whole device and all its sensor "priority" notifications but there is the potential in the future for a device to have one priority level and one (or more) of the sensors underneath it to have a different priority level.

My current options on how to implement this change:

1. Creating libraries for each priority level then making any notification trigger adjustments to the library but I read somewhere that libraries can put a heavy load on the core (please, correct me if i'm wrong because I feel like this will be the easier option). We have a little over 9,000 sensors and one core instance so we are trying to avoid any unnecessary load to the core if we can.
  2. Create groups under each probe for the different priority levels and update the notification triggers at the group level. We currently have groups set up to separate devices by device type under each probe (i.e network devices, windows, host, etc.)
  3. Manually changing the triggers on each device one by one (would like to avoid this option as much as possible)

libraries notification-trigger prtg

Created on Mar 23, 2022 1:13:38 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

The best approach would be to create libraries since in this way you can adjust the groups and devices according your priority and define the triggers for these.

If you manually change the triggers on each device/sensor, you can't use our "Multi-Edit" feature. Please keep this in mind.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Mar 28, 2022 12:34:39 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Felix,

Thank you for that solution. Is there a max limit to how many sensors can be in a library?

Created on Mar 30, 2022 2:08:38 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

There should be no maximum amount of sensors in one library.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Technical Support

Created on Mar 31, 2022 1:05:22 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.