What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor IBM DB2 Database : Connection string syntax

Votes:

Hello, I have to monitor IBM DB2 database.
So I understand that I have to use ADO SQL sensor (https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/70618-how-to-set-up-the-sql-v2-sensors-in-prtg-is-there-a-guide).
When adding the sensor, I have to fill Connection string, but don't really know how, or what syntax to follow. Could you please give the syntax for PRTG ?
Is ODBC the good method for IBM DB2 ? If yes, do I have to install DB2 client as well on the PRTG probe ?
Thank you for your support.

ado connection-string ibm-db2

Created on Mar 30, 2022 2:06:39 PM

Last change on Apr 4, 2022 12:21:02 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Did you already checked the manual where the syntax is noted? https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/ado_sql_v2_sensor

Created on Apr 4, 2022 12:22:22 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 4, 2022 12:22:32 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Moritz, Yes, I've checked this page, and I can find this example :

Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Data Source=10.0.0.200\SQLEXPRESS;User ID=user;Password=userpass;Initial Catalog=Northwind
For ODBC connections, you must enter MSDASQL as provider, for example Provider=MSDASQL;DSN=_my_odbc_sqlserver.

To create the string, I have to know how to enter the server's IP, the tcp port etc ... There should be a tutorial somewhere with all the parm and values for this string.

Thanks.

Created on Apr 4, 2022 12:48:26 PM

Last change on Apr 4, 2022 12:57:34 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there,

I'm sorry but I don't get at which point you have an issue here. IP and Port are defined in the credentials in the device settings: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/device_settings#dbcredentials

Created on Apr 5, 2022 9:39:14 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Moritz,

I finally found a string that works :-)

Provider=IBMDADB2;Database=xxx;Hostname=yyy;Protocol=TCPIP; Port=zzz;Uid=uuu;Pwd=pw;

--> I have first use IBMDBDB2, and not MSDASQL.

--> If I define IP and Port in th Setting tab, I can remove it in the Connection string.

The tutorial I'm searching is about : what parmameters + meaning we can code in this string, not only IP and tcp.

The credentials put on Setting Tab for the devices are valid for all the databases on this device. If we want un other user, then the syntaxe in the string is: Uid=uuu;Pwd=pw

Thank you for your support.
Regards.

Created on Apr 5, 2022 9:59:17 AM

Last change on Apr 8, 2022 6:27:51 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there,

Thank you for the information. I'm glad you could find the correct connection string for your case.

Created on Apr 8, 2022 6:31:21 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.