What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Dcom issue unable to communicate with the a few computers a few times a day.

Votes:

We are seeing issues during the day where around our PRTG sensor will have a brief inability to communicate with around 5 servers. They are all on the same LAN as the server running PRTG. In the windows event viewer I am seeing these errors that coincide with the issue DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer using any of the configured protocols; requested by PID 1688 (C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\PRTG Probe.exe), while activating CLSID

There will sometimes be this error roughly 10-20 minutes before this occurs 1 remote calls to the SAM database have been denied in the past 900 seconds throttling window.

The primary dns server for this server before was across the wan. I did just make a change to use a dns server on the same lan as the PRTG server and those that it is sometimes having issues with. I will reboot the PRTG server and see if changing the DNS server fixes the issue.

dcom prtg sensor

Created on Mar 31, 2022 11:15:16 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your KB Post. Do you notice any Windows updates in both PRTG and the target servers? We have some past cases where some Windows Updates are the root cause of the issue.

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/90023-dcom-security

With kind regards,
Chan Siau Hen
Technical Support Team, Paessler AG

Created on Apr 8, 2022 7:49:47 AM by  Chan Siau Hen [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.