What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Multiple subnets

Votes:

Hello. I'm new of Prtg. I work at school. My school have 10 subnets, all of them are connected to pfsense firewall. I installed local probe in my pc in my subnet. I monitor all pcs in this subnet. I can't i monitor pcs connected to other subnets? Thanks

multiple probe remote subnets

Created on Apr 13, 2022 10:36:05 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Daniele,

If you can reach the other subnets from your PRTG core server but only the auto discovery feature has not found them, then PRTG ran the auto discovery by default only in the local subnet.
If you want to add a auto discovery group for another subnet, then you need to go to "Devices>Add Auto-Discovery Group". It might be possible that you need to select "Devices>Add Group" to create a separate group before to put the desired Auto-Discovery Group devices into it.
It is described in detail in our PRTG Manual: Add an Auto-Discovery Group
To learn more about the general concept of Auto Discovery take a look at our How-To Auto-Discovery

If you can't reach a subnet directly from your PRTG core server, but can reach your PRTG core server from the subnets (e.g. via explicit firewall rules):
Then you can add remote probes in each subnet to your PRTG installation. Those monitor the devices in their subnet and report the monitoring data back to the core server.
It is described in our How-To Remote Probes

If none of the subsets can communicate with other subnets in your network but all can communicate with the Internet:
You can use our PRTG Hosted Monitor to have a Cloud hosted PRTG instance and set up remote probes in each subnet to report monitoring data to the cloud.

Kind regards,
Johannes Beyerlein, Technical Support Team

Created on Apr 21, 2022 11:47:24 AM by  Johannes Beyerlein [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.