What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Remote Probe Device Sensors showing SNMP 2003 error

Votes:

I tried to add SNMP sensors to a Linux device under the PRTG Remote Probe, but it is not showing up the statistics due to SNMP -2003 error. Is there any setting to be activated in Remote Probe to accept SNMP connection from Linux/Windows Device ?

2003 remoteprobe snmp

Created on Apr 20, 2022 2:56:18 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

The error -2003 indicates a general connection problem with the target server. This means that PRTG didn't receive a respond from the target device. If you are in doubt that PRTG should be able to display data from the device, you can check with our SNMP Tester the raw data. The issue could be related to network issues or to your device which is not responding well. In addition I would recommend you this KB article here: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/713-how-do-i-install-the-snmp-daemon-on-linux-machines

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Apr 21, 2022 8:50:42 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have installed the snmp daemon earlier in linux machines and they are connecting from local probe but not from remote probe. I also tested using snmp tester: it says SNMP error 2003.

Please let me know if any services need to activated in windows remote probe .

Created on Apr 22, 2022 4:01:38 PM

Votes:

Hi,

If the tester shows the same error message, you will need to double-check the connection and make sure that port 161 (default SNMP) is open. In addition please double-check the community string, since this is case sensitive.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Apr 25, 2022 5:26:02 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.