What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Windows Monitoring flow protocols or packet sniffer

Votes:

Hello,

I would like to ask if it is possible to activate flow protocols on Windows and be able to monitor web flows. Otherwise, why can't we use the Packet sniffer for windows?

Thanks in advance.

netflow sflow sniffer windows

Created on Apr 21, 2022 8:29:34 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

Thanks for your post.

I am not aware if there is any way to enable Flow protocol in Windows. Netflow normally works in Network Devices.

If you want to see the Flow on Windows PC, you may install a PRTG Probe on that particular Windows PC. After that, in PRTG, you may add a packet sniffer under the probe device. The Packet Sniffer sensors should display the flow alike information.

I hope this helps.

With kind regards.

Chan Siau Hen
Technical Support Team, Paessler AG

Created on Apr 27, 2022 12:27:04 PM by  Chan Siau Hen [Paessler Technical Support]

Last change on Apr 27, 2022 12:28:03 PM by  Chan Siau Hen [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Hello Chan Siau Hen,

Thank you for your response. I've yet tested Packet Sniffer and it works very well but I can't delete default probe (System status and probe status). I just want to have bandwidth probe and packet sniffer if possible because netflow is just for network device. Can you help me please ?

King regards.

Created on May 2, 2022 6:39:42 AM

Votes:

Hello there,

Thanks for the feedback.

Probe Health, System Status and Core Health sensors are fixed objects in PRTG and can't be deleted. The sensors are important to provide historical information and to monitor the state of your Core Server.

Thanks.

With kind regards,
Chan Siau Hen
Technical Support Team, Paessler AG.

Created on May 6, 2022 4:39:58 AM by  Chan Siau Hen [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.