What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Simple way to create mail notifications for thousand of sensors

Votes:

Hello, I can't really make sense of the documentation, so I'll try this way:

My problem: I want to set up email notifications. There are several hundred devices with several thousand sensors. In general, no user has access to all devices. For each device, it was firmly defined which "responsible admin" has write access to this system. When this "admin" (not a PRTG admin) logs into PRTG, he only sees his systems.

I would now like to set up a standard email notification in the simplest way, which sends an email notification after 180 seconds when the sensor state is down. I don't want to manually add this notification trigger to every system. My idea is that I add the notification trigger at the root level and it will be inherited by all devices. At the same time, the system should automatically recognize whether a user really has access (preferably write access) to an individual device and its sensors and only then send out notifications. Users who do not have access to a device but also inherit the default notification trigger from the root level should not receive any notifications.

Is that possible? Or is that maybe even standard behavior? Finally, I saw that PRTG already created a default notification trigger on root.

----------------- Einmal auf Deusch:

Hallo, ich werde aus den Dokumentationen nicht ganz schlau und versuche es somit mal auf diesem Wege:

Mein Problem: Ich möchte Benachrichtigungen per Email einrichten. Es handelt sich dabei um mehrere hundert Geräte mit mehreren Tausend Sensoren. Pauschal hat kein Benutzer Zugriff auf alle Geräte. Für jedes Gerät wurde fest definiert welcher "zuständige Admin" Schreib-Zugriff auf dieses System hat. Wenn dieser "Admin" (kein PRTG Admin) sich im PRTG anmeldet, sieht er nur seine Systeme.

Ich möchte nun auf dem einfachsten Wege eine Standard Email Benachrichtung einrichten, welche bei Sensor State Down nach 180 Sekunden eine Email Benachrichtigung schickt. Diesen Benachrichtigungs Trigger will ich nicht bei jedem System manuell hinzufügen. Mein Vorstellung ist, dass ich den Benachritigungs Trigger auf Root-Ebene hinzufüge und es vererbt wird an alle Geräte. Gleichzeitig soll das System automatisch erkennen ob ein Benutzer wirklich Zugriff (am besten Schreib-Zugriff) auf ein einzelnes Gerät und seine Sensoren hat und nur dann benachrichtigungen rausschicken. Benutzer die keinen Zugriff auf ein Gerät haben, aber ebenfalls den Default Benachrichtigungs Trigger vom Root-Level erben, sollen keine Benachrichtigungen bekommen.

Ist das möglich? Oder ist das vielleicht sogar Standard-Verhalten? Schließlich habe ich gesehen, dass PRTG auf Root ja bereits einen Standard Benachrichtigungs Trigger erstellt hat.

email notification prtg

Created on Apr 28, 2022 8:57:42 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

the first part of your requirements can be solved. You can define a trigger with a notification template which can be inherited to your groups/devices/sensors. Your second requirement that the notification will be only sent to a user with enough rights can't be realized. The notification template can't be defined dependent on the access rights of a user to a device. You will need to define a notification template for each device/group and inherit the template according to the access rights. More detailed information about notification templates you will find here.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on May 4, 2022 5:27:20 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.