What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Rest Sensor API create dynamic channel names without default channel discovery

Votes:

Hello,

i have following xml output to monitor:

<xyz>
<a>1</a>
<b>1</b>
<c>1</c>
<d>1</d>
[...]
</xyz>

so there are many channels.
I use the Rest Custom Sensor. If i select the standard "channel discovery" template i get "$["xyz"]["a"]" for example as the channel names. How should i configure the new rest template to create all channels only with name "a" without the additional characters $ [ ] "

I can't create static channels in the rest template because the names differ for every new website and there are different amounts of channels per xml-site.

So the goal would be to create a rest template which considers dynamic channel names because the standard "channel discovery" template creates the additional characters $,[,],"

Or if you have other suggestions for other approaches feel free to share.

Kind regards

prtg rest template xml

Created on Apr 29, 2022 10:16:23 AM

Last change on Apr 29, 2022 1:29:35 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi there,

Did you already check out our REST Custom v2 sensor? With this it might be easier to create the sensor channels.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on May 17, 2022 11:00:54 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.