What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can't poll Fortigate with SNMP.

Votes:

Hi

I´m new to using PRTG.

I have a FortiGate 100F that I can't poll with SNMP in PRTG. This is the first and only device that we have tried to poll with SNMP in our PRTG system. I can ping the Fortigate from PRTG, and when I run Paessler SNMP Tester from the PRTG server, I can poll with SNMP. When I try f.e. to poll SNMP Traffic I get the following error message:

"The sensor does not get a response from the device you want to monitor. The reason might be that the SNMP credentials are wrong or that the device does not support the required uptime OID (1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0) for traffic sensors. To resolve this issue, check the SNMP access rights of the device or contact the device vendor. (code: PE244)"

But if I put that same OID into the Paessler SNMP Tester, it works. I have the same community name in my Fortigate, in the SNMP Tester and under my device in PRTG. I have tried SNMP v1 and v2, both work with SNMP Tester but neither work in PRTG.

When I run a packet capture on my Fortigate I can see the packets being polled when I run the SNMP Tester, but I never see anything being polled when I try to do it in PRTG.

What am I missing?

fortigate snmp snmp-tester

Created on May 5, 2022 2:27:51 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello there
Thank you for reaching us. I understand that you are trying to add a Fortigate device to PRTG using an SNMP sensor. I think the best approach to adding a Fortigate device would be the one described in this KB article. Please try this out:
https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/73911-does-prtg-provide-native-sensors-for-fortigate-firewalls
Feel free to open a ticket in order to troubleshoot this further in case you are still experiencing a problem

Created on May 10, 2022 11:40:39 PM by  Luis Quesada (Paessler Technical Support)

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.