What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PING Sensor Problems

Votes:

hello. we replaced our firewalls recently from Barracuda to SonicWALL. before we switched, the PING sensor between the firewalls never worked. always timeout. after swapping the equipment, the still does not work. the firewalls are connected via site to site VPN. i am able to successfully PING from my desktop, from the PRTG desktop tools, and from diagnostics tools of the SonicWALL. however when i setup a sensor on the device, it always fails. i have deleted the devices and re-added them. any hints to check anything else? thank you

icmp ping prtg

Created on May 23, 2022 2:05:11 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello there,
Thank you for reaching us.
The Ping sensor is one of our basic sensors, so there is not much that needs to be checked in order to make it work.
Based on my experience, sometimes is just a misconfiguration of the device settings, like selecting IPv6 instead of IPV4.
Another thing to check would be the VPN. Please take a sniffer capture in order to see if the traffic is actually crossing the VPN tunnel and reaching the desired FW.
Finally, make sure the Firewall is receiving the ICMP packet instead of blocking it.

Created on May 26, 2022 5:27:43 PM by  Luis Quesada (Paessler Technical Support)

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.