What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

IPFIX sensor not listening

Votes:

I am trying to get an IPFIX sensor set up but no matter what port I use, netstat doesn't show it open. The VM I'm running PRTG on has 5 network interfaces if that matters. I've tried selecting all of them or just single ones and it makes no difference. How can I further troubleshoot why this sensor isn't listening on the port I specify?

bind ipfix prtg

Created on May 27, 2022 8:36:13 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

It would appear that even though our switch allows us to enter all of the config for Netflow, it does not support Netflow with its current hardware configuration so no data was being sent.

Created on Jun 2, 2022 7:12:49 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello, perhaps you can test using our Netflow tester. It supports IPfix as well, you can find it here https://www.paessler.com/tools/netflowtester if you have specified the local IP and port and the packets are not showing in the tester you would need to take a packet capture at the PRTG interface and decode the packets as cflow in order to see if there are any flow packets arriving at all. If not, there might be something happening at the network level.

Created on Jun 1, 2022 9:26:06 PM by  Jonathan Mena [Paessler Technical Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

It would appear that even though our switch allows us to enter all of the config for Netflow, it does not support Netflow with its current hardware configuration so no data was being sent.

Created on Jun 2, 2022 7:12:49 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.