What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

No response (SNMP error # -2003)

Votes:

i installed on 1 pc windows server 2019 and 1 centos7 , when i tried to add session this error occurred, i also checked firewall and SNMP on both

No response (check: firewalls, routing, snmp settings of device, IPs, SNMP version, community, passwords etc) (SNMP error # -2003)

prtg snmp wmi

Created on Jun 1, 2022 7:45:28 AM

Last change on Jun 1, 2022 7:56:02 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

thank you for your message.

The error -2003 indicate that the probe has not received any response from the target device. This issue most likely come from the following issues:

• The SNMP service is not running/configured properly (for example, listens on the wrong address(es))
  • The SNMP traffic is blocked somehow between the probe and the target device
  • The SNMP credentials are not configured properly in the device Settings tab, in PRTG (under Credentials for SNMP Devices).

Can you please double check those points above as well as execute a simple Read Device Uptime request with SNMP Tester, from the probe server. If you still get the error -2003 when doing so, then there is a problem with the configuration of SNMP with your device.

Here is how to use the tester:

1. Start the SNMP Tester
  2. Configure the tester below point "1. Set SNMP Settings"
    1. Local IP = Any (at first). If this fails, also switch to one of the listed local IPs
    2. Device IP/Port = IP of the target device and the configured port (SNMP uses port 161 by default)
    3. SNMP Version = Select the version which is configured on the device
    4. Community = Community string defined in the target device
  3. Below "Select Request Type", switch to the option "Read Uptime Device"
  4. Press the "Start" Button on the top

I also invite you to make sure that the configuration of SNMP on your device is not restricted to specific OIDs only (ex: systemview). Otherwise, you won't be able to use the SNMP sensors due to the limitations.

Regards.

Created on Jun 6, 2022 7:23:57 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.