What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cluster PRTG

Votes:

Hey,

my name is Rodrigo. I would like you to ask a question. I have a PRTG cluster with two servers. I would like to do an inversion of the servers in this cluster, putting the current failover node as the master, and the current master as the failover. Could I revert the two PRTG installations to independent ones, create a cluster, put my old failover as master and the old master as failover of this cluster? Would there be any risk of problems with the license key or loss of data? When I revert my current failover to standalone, will it lose monitoring data that was synced to the master?

cluster failover master

Created on Jun 3, 2022 5:25:33 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Rodrigo,

We already have a guide available on How to convert cluster nodes to standalone installations.

After this you can convert them to a cluster in the switched roles of master and failover for the servers.

The historic data will be preserved, only the license activation can be tricky.

If you have any issues with the activation during this migration just send us a mail to [email protected] with the current SystemIDs and the last 6 letters of the license key you are using and we can quickly sort this out.

Kind regards,
Johannes Beyerlein, Technical Support Team

Created on Jun 8, 2022 12:41:04 PM by  Johannes Beyerlein [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you guys!

I thought about not having both servers online on the network at the same time during the process so there is no conflict with the license key. Just leave them both on the network when I go to connect the failover node to the master. Do you think this would work?

Created on Jun 14, 2022 2:44:00 PM

Votes:

Hello Rodrigo,

The issue with licensing mentioned before has more to do with the activation, that might get refused if the SystemID has been previously activated with the same key before. Therefore if you get a license activation error send us a short mail.

You can leave both systems on the network during this procedure.

Kind regards,
Johannes Beyerlein, Technical Support Team

Created on Jun 15, 2022 3:21:14 PM by  Johannes Beyerlein [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.