What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sudden increase in the values of "Threads" and "Raw Data Buffer"

Votes:

Hello dear Support Team
What can cause a sudden increase in "Threads" and "Raw Data Buffer" channels values in "Core Health Sensor"?
Thank a lot

core-health-sensor increase raw-data-buffer sudden threads

Created on Jun 8, 2022 9:25:01 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

if the number of threads increases, PRTG perhaps runs background tasks like a report.

The Raw Data Buffer is a buffer for incoming sensor data, sent by the PRTG probes. The core then takes this data and processes it. If the buffer increases, a lot of data was coming in within a short time. This happens on a probe reconnect.

The probe connection gets automatically slowed down in case there is little buffer capacity left, giving the core service time to process the existing data first.

Created on Jun 13, 2022 9:42:28 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have a disaster that PRTG web server doesn't answer for a long time, so i stop the core server service and start it again.
And after the service UP, the data of this time was not available.
Did I do the right thing?
The service did not return as long as I waited. How much longer do I have to wait?
After the service was UP, when I checked the issue, I realized that the problem was due to the sudden increase in "Threads" and "Raw Data Buffer" channels values in "Core Health Sensor"

Created on Jun 29, 2022 10:45:42 AM

Votes:

Hello,

in order to have us checked what happened, please contact us with a support bundle by using the PRTG webinterface, menu Setup / Contact Support. When sending the support bundle, please describe the issue. This bundle contains a selection of important log files and additionally core health data, which allows to look into what happened.

Created on Jun 29, 2022 12:26:53 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.