What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Some PRTG sensors are not working anymore, after MS updates/ reboot. (80070005: Access denied.)

Votes:

Hi Experts, I have some problems with some sensors after updating the systems.

We have some sensors that work with WMI. For example WMI random access memory, WMI disk capacity and WMI service, etc.

After this update, these sensors have the same problem with this error: " Connection could not be established (80070005: Access Denied) (Code: PE015). " Interesting is that we have some other sensors that work with WMI and they work correctly. But when I try to collect information with the WMI tester, it says, 80070005: Access denied.

I did much research on kb. Paessler and other websites, but didn't succeed to find the solution.

I would like to know, which problem is there? Why do some WMI sensors work and Why others don't work?

Many thanks for your helpful answers.

Best regards, Hassan

access-denied disk-capacity sensor windows-update wmi

Created on Jun 28, 2022 9:38:50 AM

Last change on Jul 1, 2022 7:00:17 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

I have the same issue. the target is up-to-date. only thing that is working is alive ping and uptime.

Created on Jun 30, 2022 6:00:12 AM

Votes:

am having same issue we normally install probe on NONE domain server, and probe DOMAIN joined machines, but am getting access is denied. But if i try probe over VPN to same server it works fine via the WMI tester. Seems to be an issue with specific windows update that's caused this. we have 4 servers where WMI is failing on additional windows devices on the network.

Created on Jun 30, 2022 11:24:18 AM

Votes:

If you recently installed Windows Updates KB5014692; KB5014754; KB5014699 & KB50004442 you might be affected by hardening changes. Microsoft recently rolled out a patch which hardens the DCOM authentication, which can cause authentication login attempts to fail.

In our experience the issue should be fixed if all updates are installed on PRTG server as well as on the target device. Please ensure that all servers are on the same patch level and reboot your PRTG Server afterwards. If you are still facing this issue even though all servers are on the same patch level, feel free to reach out to us directly via mail at [email protected] so we can take a closer look.

Alternatively as a workaround you can try to roll back the update or remove the registry entry as described here. As workaround you can also use this article to disable the hardening changes again.

Created on Jul 1, 2022 7:05:36 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Timo, many thanks for your response.

I will try this solution and come back with the new updates.

Best, Hassan

Created on Jul 4, 2022 8:12:54 AM

Votes:

thank you registry edit fixed issue for us.

Created on Jul 5, 2022 8:01:26 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.