What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Custom Advanced lookup change failed

Votes:

Howdy folks :)

I can't change the lookup OVL for any of our SNMP Custom Advanced sensors in PRTG. For instance on APC UPS Health sensor (SNMP Custom Advanced) the lookup is set to "prtg.standardlookups.apc-mib.upsbattery.upsbatteryteststatus". When I changed this lookup to something else like "my.custom.upsbatteryteststatus, it looks fine, but a simple sensor scan, will change it back to "prtg.standardlookups.apc-mib.upsbattery.upsbatteryteststatus".

I can change look values on other sensor types just fine, it appears to be only for SNMP Custom Advanced sensors.

Are anyone else experiencing this issues? If so, is there a fix for this?

custom lookup snmp

Created on Jun 29, 2022 7:53:33 AM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Michael,
we appreciate your contact!

Unfortunately I must report that this is a long time issue with the SNMP Custom Advanced, SNMP Custom Table and the SQL v2 family of sensors. Due to the sensor's nature the lookup is actually configured in the sensor settings and whenever the sensor runs (on every scan) the lookup configured in the sensor settings will overwrite the one in the channel settings.

Luckily the solution is easy, simply modify the lookup in the sensor settings (in contrast with doing it in the channel settings like with most sensors) and the change will then apply permanently.

While this is described in the 14.6 Define Lookups manual page, this is easy to overlook. I have reported this issue to our PRTG Documentation Team so that this can be made more prominent in the documentation to make it less likely that someone else runs into this issue in the future.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Created on Jul 4, 2022 7:19:32 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.